Voiceovers And Nomenclature, Part Two – The Not Silent Blog 7/19/16
Last year we talked about the varied names in the voiceover profession that describe who we are. You can read it here.
This year, let’s talk about but the oft-confusing and interchangeable names of what we do.
E-Learning vs. Corporate vs. Industrial
You can ask 10 different voice talents (or voice actors or voiceoverists) the definition of and the difference between these three words and get 15 different answers. I did some Google-izing and found this:
- E-Learning: learning conducted via electronic media, typically on the Internet.
- Industrial: I found no clear definition for our purposes, though it’s mentioned on many narrator’s sites and casting sites.
- Corporate: same as Industrial
This is how I define them…
- E-Learning: educational materials heard by a student
- Industrial: educational materials heard by an employee
- Corporate: I don’t use the term at all
Retakes, Revisions, and Re-dos
I found nothing helpful on the interwebs to define these. Here are my definitions…
- Retakes: when you screw up and have to do a line or lines again after you sent the sound files to the client
- Revisions: when the client changes the script after it’s been approved and you have already recorded it
- Re-Dos: like Corporate, I don’t use the term at all
TIP OF THE WEEK
Do the definition and use of these terms matter? Yes and yes.
Yes for the first set of terms to your inside world and yes for the second set of terms to the outside world.
I have come up with definitions for the first set of terms purely for internal business purposes. It’s important to know what kind of voiceover work you’re getting, where it’s coming from, and how much you’re revenue you’re generating so you can market yourself accordingly.
As to the second set, you should have a Retake Policy clearly defined and communicated to your clients before you utter a single word into the mic. Remember, all relationships are built on communication and trust. Make sure everyone is speaking the same language!
NEWS AND NOTES
I will be the guest speaker at the next Vegas Voicer Meetup Group webinar this Thursday July 21 @9:30 PM EST. Click here to learn more.
There are still spots left for Johnny Heller’s Splendiferous Narrator Retreat at the Whispering Pines Conference Center in Greenwich, RI on Friday October 28th to Sunday October 30th. Click here to register!
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
From my village to yours; this is Tom Dheere, GKN News…
Tom Dheere is a 20-year veteran of the voice over industry who has narrated thousands of projects for clients in over a dozen countries. He is also a coach at Edge Studio, voiceover business consultant known as the Voice Over Strategist, and is currently writing & producing the comic book “Agent 1.22”.