Voice Acting And Notes – The Not Silent Blog 8/11/20
I take a lot of notes. Not just when I’m taking a class or hearing someone speak, but when I’m at home doing research. You would be amazed at the amount of sticky notes I go through.
Since most of us have attended no live conferences or networking events this year, we’ve lost many opportunities to learn about our industry, current trends, and of course enjoy that human, in person, face to face connection.
That leaves us with online events. There are more voiceover webinars than ever right now so since most of us are stuck at home, now is a great time to take that money you were saving to attend a voiceover conference and sign up for a few webinars instead. How do you get the most out of them? By taking good notes!
TIP OF THE WEEK
Here are some notes notes…
- If you know who is going to speak ahead of time, set up your notes with the title of the webinar, the time/date, and the instructors/panelists. Doing a bit of research on the speakers is also a good idea so you know their areas of specialty.
- Use a note-taking app like Google Keep or Evernote to stay organized
- Always ask if the webinar is being recorded and if you’ll get it afterwards. This takes the pressure off you writing down all the data-based stuff so you can focus on the instructor. A lot of what they say is off the cuff or a sidebar so give yourself the opportunity to soak in that impromptu wisdom.
- The Print Screen Button: this is a BIG help. If you see a slide with a lot of data on it and the webinar isn’t being recorded, hit the Print Screen button on your keyboard and it will take a snapshot. Just remember which folder your computer puts your snapshots in. 😉
- Always ask if you can get a PDF version of the slide show. That will save you a ton of time and ink.
If you have saved your notes from previous classes, read them again. It’s fascinating not only what you’ve forgotten, but how notes from a few years ago can hit you in a completely different way. Maybe you weren’t ready to hear it at the time you took the class. You’re a different (hopefully better & wiser) person now so you may process that sage advice more effectively. I make it a point to re-read all of my old notes once a year and I learn something new every time!
NEWS AND NOTES
Thursday, August 13th @8PM EST: My next Edge Studio Marketing 201 webinar will be ‘Brand Yourself’. In this one-hour webinar, we’ll talk about the basics of telling the story that is your voiceover business. This webinar caps at 25 attendees and sells out fast. Click here to sign up!
September 11-13: The 100 eVOcation early bird tickets sold out in six hours! Since it’s a 100% digital conference about all things voiceover business & marketing there is still room. Click here to sign up.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
Tom Dheere is a voice actor who has narrated thousands of projects for hundreds of clients in over a dozen countries. He is also a voiceover business & marketing consultant known as the VOStrategist and produces the comic book “Agent 1.22”. You can subscribe to his weekly blog and the monthly VO Strategist Learnin’ Stuff Notice here.