GKN Weekly Update 12/26/12 – The Top Five “Top Five” Lists Of 2012
Good morning and Happy “Holy Crap There’s Wrapping Paper Everywhere” Day! I hope everyone has been enjoying the holiday season thus far.
So, the end of the year is almost here. And what a better way to wrap up 2012 but with a bunch of Top Five lists! I know you love them. Don’t we all…?
FYI most of these lists are not in any particular order. Some of this stuff is just too cooky to rank!
Top Five “Professional Highlights of 2012”
- Beat my 2011 sales on June 27th
- Traveled to Charlotte, Philly, Dallas, LBI, and California (twice!)
- Spoke at FaffCon 3, FaffCon 4, and VOICE 2012
- Taught classes for Edge Studio & Voiceover Xtra and had my first private student sessions
- Narrated eight full-length audio books and ten short stories
Top Five “Tips of the Week” aka “Stuff I Learned This Year”
- Men, wear a tie whenever possible. It always seems to impress people these days! Hats, too.
- Deal with tragedy in the most graceful, selfless way you can.
- Sometimes it’s okay for people to take out their insecurities on you, whether they are friends, family, or strangers. Sometimes.
- It’s okay to love someone and not be loved back.
- You deserve to be successful, no matter what you or anyone else thinks!
Top 5 Quotes I’ve Collected in 2012
- Interviewer at the Oscars: And Zach, what are you wearing? Zach Galifianakis: Um, Garanimals.
- Nobody likes the person who goes to the Potluck Dinner and brings nothing but a fork. Amy Snively
- You can’t be a part-time man of principle. John Amaechi
- Never make fun of a one-legged organist. Emily Grace Edgerton
- You will never put your Kenny G in my Yanni. Anonymous
Top 5 Films of 2012 (this one is in order)
- Ruby Sparks
- Beasts of the Southern Wild
- Moonrise Kingdom
- The Avengers
Top 5 Books I Read
- Stone of Loneliness by Michael Swanwick
- The “Jump 225” Trilogy by David Louis Edelman
- Talent is Overrated by Geoff Colvin
- How We Decide by Jonah Lehrer
- All Facts Considered by Kee Malesky
By far, 2012 has been the best year I’ve ever had both professionally and personally. I feel like I’ve been in the the eye of a hurricane, though; standing in the calm center while watching fierce winds blow all around me, buffeting my friends and loved ones. Between Hurricane Sandy, a freak car accident, various assaults, and losing two friends this year that were taken away way too soon, it’s been, well, funky. All we can do is look to next year with Action Plan in hand and our clan by our side, take a deep breath, and dive in.
Have a Happy, safe, and prosperous 2013. Own it!!!
From Tom Dheere’s apartment, this is Tom Dheere: GKN News…